Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Bathroom Experience

So I have heard that when men use urinals, they do not stand one next to another, but rather leave an empty urinal between them. I think the same should be true for women and stalls. Just recently I entered the bathroom with another woman. There were three stalls. My logic says that she picks one end and I pick the other. But no. She uses the middle stall. Why? Maybe because most people think the way I do, she thinks the middle stall is the least used and, thus, the cleanest. I really don't understand. As I sit doing my business, I observe the same woman flush the toilet with her foot. Acceptable. I do that often, as well. (So, of course, if I do it, it is acceptable.) But then she neglects to wash her hands. So what, because she flushes with her foot she is exempt from washing her hands?! I am glad I use public restrooms very infrequently.

6 comments:

Cara said...

I hate when people use the middle stalls! We have three stalls in our bathroom too, and I always go for an outer one, whether or not someone else is in the bathroom.

veronique said...

i like to use the second stall, unless the second stall is the middle stall in which case i use the one closest to the door, because i once saw something where they said that was the least used stall.

Jules said...

I have also heard that the first stall is the least used.

Anonymous said...

yes, it is true, men leave a urinal gap if at all possible, though there are some men that don't care and will use the closest urinal.
Plus, not washing your hands in a public bathroom? I think you should carry around Purel and make a big show of using it right in front of this woman or anyone else you observe not washing their hands.
As for which stall is the cleanest, well, for guys, the answer is your toilet at home if at all possible.

Unknown said...

Ew! Disgusting! You have to get together with Patrick and excahnge bathroom stories. He's semi-obsessed with bathroom etiquette. Or maybe the people in his work are just disgusting. On guy eats chips while on the can. How gross is that?!

I loves your blog.

:)

Cameron said...

Do you really flush with your foot? I've never heard of that... I just get it all done before the handwashing event... Of course, in my present state, trying to get a foot up on the flusher could end in an "I've fallen and I can't get up" style scenario :)